Our new Fieldnotes series is about getting out there and catching up with some of our stockists in the UK and beyond. We’re always inspired by the variety of independent stores across the country who stock Uskees. We wanted to see the places they call home, and pick their brains about all objects beautiful, unusual and essential.
In this first instalment of Fieldnotes, we visited curated homeware store Homeleigh Vintage in Arnside, Cumbria. The shop’s proprietor Tracey Leigh relocated the shop to its current location in 2020, and it’s not hard to understand why. An old fashioned seaside resort without any of the cliche, Arnside is modest, but its views are not.
Nestled on the banks of the Kent Estuary (not that Kent, the river takes its name from Kentmere in Cumbria), the town is approximately 90% views. Expanses of water, sand and forest, a railway viaduct that cuts impressively across the horizon. The other 10% of Arnside is a cluster of small businesses; old fashioned chip shops, cosy pubs and, of course, Homeleigh Vintage.
Tracey’s eye is definitely influenced by the landscape around her in the objects she chooses to stock. Think: woven baskets, enamel kitchenware, and natural textiles and soaps. There are plenty of nods to French, Scandinavian and Japanese design too. Her main love is anything midcentury, and overall, her shop is a testament to living humbly, buying things that serve a purpose in your home and look beautiful while they do so.
We visited Tracey in her store to find out more about her, Homeleigh and Arnside.
Can you tell us a little about your store?
Homeleigh Vintage is a store full of quality garments and objects for living simply. Clothing and accessories, practical cookware, linens, gifts, cards, soaps. It’s become a store full of wonderful tactile take home items and a talking point for Arnside with customers travelling many miles to see us.
How do you choose what to stock?
It mainly is an instinct, an eye for good quality design and also what complements the antique shop fittings. Each new brand we stock fits in with everything in the store. Uskees fits in very well. It’s a style that suits all age groups, is authentic to the shop and we love the quality and seeing the interest from our customers.
What’s great about your village?
It’s in an area of outstanding beauty. A destination that takes new visitors by surprise. It’s full of little quirky shops, eating establishments and friendly people. It’s known for its breathtaking views, walks and historical places to visit. Visitors should check out the beach hut up for great coffee and cakes and the Arnside knott for spectacular views.
How do you style your Uskees?
I’d layer with jeans and a Nordic knit underneath. For summer, I’d wear a simple white tee and nautical shorts, teamed with the wonderful casual over shirts worn open on warmer days.
What would be your three essential items in your store?
The #3011 hidden button overshirt. It not only looks smart as a shirt but also as a jacket. I love the contrasting detail on the sleeves. I love the fit of the #5005 workwear pants, and I’m especially keen on the #4004 lambswool watch hat in red.
Explore Homeleigh Vintage today.